creature comforts

Friday, August 18, 2006

Time's been flying really fast and it's difficult for me to imagine that I've been here for a month already! When I packed to come here, I had two suitcases (that got lost in Rome for a day)...one filled with clothes and shoes, the other with "stuff". I think I packed everything that I thought I would miss...but now I'm finding I'm missing a whole lot of stuff that isn't in that suitcase...and that didn't come with me. Here's a short list so I can remind myself what I'll want to do and what I'll want to take with me when I'm in the US for vacation (haha!):

+ cookbooks
+ thai food
+ soy sauce
+ curtains (not tulle or sateen)
+ DVDs, movies, no Netflix!
+ mac and cheese
+ broccoli
+ thrift store shopping (SO MUCH!)
+ Lola

I'm sure to be amended upon as I think up more stuff!

3 Comments:

Blogger camille said...

Hmmmm..... well...... cookbooks are difficult to come by, but thank God for the internet!

- Soy sauce can be easily found at certain Gimas or Migros stores.
- Thai food.... well, there's a few Thai restaurants that are supposedly good. Never tried them though! (but am always willing and able!)
- Mac and Cheese. Yes. :(
- DVDs.... well, yes. Unfortunately, I have resorted to the bootleg copies found in various secret stores. *sigh*
- Thrift stores.... there are some in Beyoglu, not many, but they are great!

Give yourself time. Most of the things you miss you'll be able to find, somehow. Maybe not Kraft Mac n' Cheese, but maybe that's OK!

Cheers. :)

11:37 AM  
Blogger camille said...

oh! Last Friday, I finally visited a Chinese market I saw in Gumusuyu. They had lots of noodles, sauces, etc. It's near the Taksim-Besiktas dolmus stop. Not a huge place, but they had things like ginger, soy sauce, mushrooms, dried seaweed for sushi, and so on.

11:39 AM  
Blogger cutxpaste said...

hey thanks for the tips camille!!
i think i probably walked by the chinese market but didn't know it...i'll have to check it out!! my staple stand-by (if i had to cook) dish in the states was always stir fry or ramen, and how i'm hankering for it now! have you been to any of the chinese or japanese restaurants here?

also, where are the thrift shops in beyoglu!!! i found a couple in taksim and near tunel area, but they were so much more expensive than what i'm used tooo...guess just a product of the thrift department store mentality of excess!

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home